ABOUT THE NMC -
This is the homepage of the National Motorcycle Council (NMC), an umbrella
group for the main UK motorcycling organisations
WHAT IS THE NMC?
The National Motorcycle Council is a body set up to provide a forum for
the different interests within the motorcycle and powered two-wheeler
community. Its membership includes manufacturers' and dealers' associations,
rider groups, and training/safety organisations.
The Council will initiate and pursue agreed objectives in order to promote
the use of powered two wheelers (PTWs), and establish them as a mode which
is recognised to be an integral part of transport strategy for the new
The National Motorcycle Council (the Council) is an informal grouping
of organisations involved with motorcycling and motorcycling safety. Such
organisations may include representatives of the trade, industry, rider
groups, motoring organisations, road safety and rider training organisations.
Represented bodies shall be known as Member Organisations.
- The Council shall appoint a Chairman, who shall be elected bi-annually,
and a Secretary or Secretariat who shall be responsible for the day-to-day
administration of the Council.
- The Council shall provide a forum for discussion on matters affecting
motorcycling, motorcycle legislation and motorcycle safety, with the
objectives of formulating and implementing commonly agreed policies
and of lobbying government at local, national and EU level to achieve
- Any policy decisions shall be arrived at by unanimous agreement among
the Member Organisations.
- The Council shall liase with Government and other appropriate bodies
in order to progress its policies to a satisfactory conclusion.
- The Council will have the power to set up sub-committees to examine
specific areas of policy formulation or interest and report back to
- The Council will be funded by annual subscriptions from Member Organisations
at a scale set by the Council from time to time.
- The Council shall have the power to reduce or waive such subscriptions
as it sees fit.
Please note that for clarity the words "motorcycle" and "motorcycling"
have been used to apply to all Powered Two Wheelers (PTWs) and PTW activities.
Safety Officers' Association